Week 2: For the Love of the Lake

During my second week of service, I worked with an organization that I have been happily involved with for many years. I began volunteering with For the Love of the Lake (FTLOTL) in 2008 with Lakehill students and families, and we became an Adopt-a-Shoreline group shortly after. Any business, non-profit group, school, church, or local organization can become part of the Adopt-A-Shoreline program by becoming responsible for a small portion of the shoreline or park and keeping it litter-free.

In 2010, Lakehill was honored as the New Volunteer Group of the Year, and, in 2016, the Volunteer Group of the Year. We celebrated this honor on the anniversary of our 100th lake clean up.

Every second Saturday of the month is the Shoreline Spruce Up at White Rock Lake Park, a FTLOTL tradition that has been going strong since 1996. Volunteers collect litter throughout the park and along the shoreline. As a result of this dedicated effort, volunteers have transformed White Rock Lake Park into the neighborhood treasure it is today.

Over the years, our Lakehill volunteers have picked up trash in pouring rain, freezing snow and sleet, and unbearable Texas heat. We have also enjoyed many beautiful days in one of my favorite locations in Dallas. Our group has developed an incredible sense of pride in our adopted area. It’s not uncommon for a student to head to our section of shoreline to pick up trash on days when we don’t even have an event scheduled.

We have found many “treasures” during our 100+ clean ups: a 15-foot storm drain in the water (that one took several hours and a physics lesson on levers and pulleys from a science teacher in a kayak); a full-size sofa; an urn full of preserved lemons (we’re still talking about that one); dozens of shoes (but only one matching pair); and more tennis balls and Styrofoam cups than I care to mention.

I love this service project because you can visibly see the results of your hard work. Cleaning at White Rock Lake is a perfect activity for children of all ages and a great way for families to spend time together outdoors. I can’t think of a better way to start a Saturday morning than on the shores of this neighborhood gem.

If you would like to volunteer and are not part of an Adopt-A-Shoreline group, check-in between 8:00 and 9:00 a.m. at the FTLOTL office, enjoy a continental breakfast provided by local sponsors, and collect your supplies (trash bags, gloves, and grabbers). First-time volunteers should stop at the training table for a quick orientation.

For the Love of the Lake (FTLOTL) is a non-profit organization whose volunteers support programs to preserve and enhance White Rock Lake Park. The group organizes regular clean-up activities, tree planting events, and raises money needed to fund improvements to White Rock Lake Park. White Rock Lake Park, at nearly 2,000 acres, is a hub of recreational activities and one of the most heavily used parks in the Dallas Park system.

Other volunteer initiatives of For the Love of the Lake include the Texas Stream Team, the Playground at Flag Pole Hill, and the Celebration Tree Grove.

Lakehill volunteers at the Second Saturday Spruce Up at White Rock Lake.

One thought on “Week 2: For the Love of the Lake

1. Elizabeth Rendon January 14, 2018 / 3:10 pm

For The Love Of The Lake appreciates Lakehill AAS Volunteers.
    You’re contributing to keep Dallas urban oasis a gem!