Week 4: Bags of Warmth for the Homeless

January 24, 2018

Winter, even in Texas, is a difficult time to be homeless. It might be more accurate to say especially in Texas, where we can have temperatures in the 70s one day, followed by a hard freeze the next. Cold weather can be brutal-even life threatening-for the homeless.

With the colder temperatures this January, it seemed the right moment  to focus my efforts on the homeless. Last week at Lakehill, we collected outerwear to distribute to those in need. We received so many wonderful donations of coats, scarves, hats, and mittens. As part of my fourth week of service, I worked with my Lower School Community Connections Club to prepare “Bags of Warmth,” with each containing a scarf, mittens, and a hat, plus a note from a student.

These bags, with a tag that says, “If you need this, please take it. Stay warm.” will then be given to those who are experiencing homelessness—on the street or in parks or other places where they may gather. My students and I took the bags to personally deliver while the coats we collected were donated to Dallas Life Homeless Shelter. This is a great project for children of all ages. They can also add snacks or water to the bags before they are delivered.

One thought on “Week 4: Bags of Warmth for the Homeless

1. Cathleen Cadigan January 29, 2018 / 2:22 am

Thanks for working to help those in our community who are struggling. You and your students are inspirational! I can’t wait to see what you do next week!